Sunday, 12 January 2014

A very short distopian story ( It is how I define a distopian society)


" Ionization is the process by which an atom or a molecule acquires a negative or positive charge by gaining or losing electrons..." Professor Athena was reading out loud what was Ionization. Being an eight, Ionization was still too easy for me. I, like my classmates, were more interested in the topics that the top grades were taught. Our society's motto: Age is nothing, knowledge and learning is all.
 
  Since all the people in our society were intelligent, our society was made perfect. There were no crimes in these 50 years, no stealing, no murdering and no... My parents always told me to be focus in lessons, why would I be not focus in lessons? Every time I received the knowledge well in lessons, I had a sense of satisfaction.
 
  I loved my timetable. Fourteen hours learning and remaining hours for knowledge and feeling sharing and sleep. Since I was two, I already had ten hours learning, learning about how people minds could change easily. How people could betray you. It was all written in the history, at least it was how it told us. I was grateful that I was chipped, so that I could store more knowledge, and learn more about the weakness of human's mind.
 
  After all the lessons, essentially, I said goodbye to my classmates and teachers, then headed back home.
 
  When I was forty more meters away from home, I heard someone groaning. Without hesitation, I  went towards the source and found a boy at my age moaning in the grass. From his clothing, he was not from our society, because all clothes of us had the motto, but he didn't. However, my intelligence told me to carry him back to home.
 
  This was the first time I ever used medication on others. I expected he would not ache soon and could sit up and talked to me, and it matched my calculation. I stretched out a hand to show friendliness to him, he looked at me with an odd face, but he shook it. If he was from my society, this hand shaking would be impropriate, as he shook four instead of three. I then politely some questions like," How are you now? Are you feeling okay?" Then, we exchanged our name and some other information. He was called James, and he was from another society. He looked around and suddenly said in awe," wow, you get so many books. I keep many books, though it was less than yours by half, I thought." He read a book without my permission and exclaimed," wow, this book was so difficult. There are lots of words that I don't know, and what is it talking about?" I was stunned as I read this when I was three. I explained, " it is about the elements of universe, this is the periodic table."
 
  I was suddenly curious about his society and him, so I asked, " can you please tell me about your society and you and your family?" He looked at me and nodded. " My society is wonderful. We have to go to school to learn stuffs for eight hours since five, including lunch and breakfast and two recess." I was suddenly aware that I didn't know the word 'recess'. A word that this boy know but I don't know? " Recess?" I asked. " You don't know what recess is." he said, obviously surprised. " We don't have it. Even in dictionary." I said, searching for the word in the brain," can you explain it?" He then explained," there is a time period between two lessons and it is called recess. It is a time for people to relax, play and have fun." Yes, there is a time period between one lesson, but it was not... never mind, it was for you to rethink of how you were doing in class, and what you unwisely did. I really have problems in these words: have fun and play.
 
  I knew relax, it was to read books, another way to gain knowledge. I was now very curious," what is 'have fun' and 'play'?" He exclaimed again," what? You don't know how to have fun and play?" I shook. " Ummm, we play hide-and-seek and other things like sliding down a hill with a sled!" He said, smiling broadly, I wondered if I had ever smiled like this one," but you don't know what is hide-and-seek, right?" I shook again, but I said," from the three words, I can see that there is a group hiding and a group seeking for them." He looked surprised, but it quickly disappeared," hard to talk with the too-clever guys. Yeah, it is something like it. You will be excited and happy if you seek someone and caught him. You will be excited and happy if you are unnoticed by the ones who are seeking you when they are really close to you. But how to show it to you?"
 
  Then, he said," go back to where you find me, I have a phone there." He crawled out of my house and was back soon with a very old type of phone (in our society). He touched the screen and many videos and photos were shown. He selected one of them. " Mom, you are filming us." a boy, obviously the younger version of him, yelled at the camera. Then, he giggled as another boy was chasing him, trying to catch him. Then he laughed," C'mon Ben, you are going to catch me." Then, they tumbled with each other as they were laughing loudly. Then stood up quickly, both with a big smile over their face. Some other videos were shown too, and I realized something. They look so...so innocent. " You were stupid. You don't know how people minds are, they are always changeable." I didn't know if I was matching the title, but then explained my lessons to him and he shook his head," yes, I was innocent. However, we were all innocent. We just want to play with each other, and be happy. There is another thing that you may not know. My teacher always stressed on a sentence:  And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." The word "love" made me shock again. There were no examples of "love" in my society, not even a example sentence. " Love?" I asked, with so much curiosity and bravery. " Love, just like this." Then he picked up his phone again and selected a passage, and gave the phone to me.
 
  I quickly finished it and it stunned me. It made me start to believe in something that I was trying not to believe. It made me start to think of the knowledge I learnt, all those scientific facts, all those inventions and all those skills. It started to make some of the knowledge collapse in my brain. It made me think of the true meaning of this word.
 
  Just look at the title, it shook me. Greatest Love: Mother died to save her son. " The lady was holding her three-year-old son in her arms while rocks falling down the hill in a landslide. The life-saving workers later heard crying and found the lifeless mother and her crying son."
 
  It is a sacrifice, and there is nothing like this in our society. In the last flooding, a woman knew that if she tied her daughter who was only 2-year-old on the lamp, she might survive. So she did, tying the innocent girl on the lamp, and stood on her, so she could breathe and yelled for the workers to save her. Of course, her daughter died, but she didn't care really much. Then I thought of myself, would I do the same thing? Probably yes, I would not take the risk, I would let myself survive first. It was stupid to sacrifice myself for the girl, at least that was what the professor told us. We all know how people minds change easily, so there is no more trust, or no much trust. " Trust would bring you to hell sometimes." As the book said. Even my dad and mum do not completely trust in each other, I could tell it by their habit. They never tried to share their money, they would not help each other. When I asked them, they said they could manage their things.
 
  I suddenly came with a horrible thought, what if we are not that intelligent. Our knowledge seemed so small in front of " love". Love, seemed so difficult to taste completely. Maybe no sacrifice, no love. No trust, no love. No caring, no love. I always thought our society was the best of all, knowing all sort of things. And the truth was revealed during my conversation with this kid from another society.
 
  " Hey, smart boy, deep in thought again, huh?" He chuckled.
  " Don't call me smart boy, how do you call each other?" I said, after my deep thought broke.
  " Um, I will say " hey, dude" when I see someone?" he said.
  "Hey dude" wasn't a formal English, but it sounded so...so friendly. I would love to be called like this.
  Friendly...friendship.
  "Can I be a friend of you?" I asked.
  He glared at me, and said," okay, dude."
  And for the first time, I smiled broadly.
  For the first time, I would love to go away from my society, and go with my friend. I would learn to play, no, I would play there.
  Crossed the river, then I would be away from this endless sleep forever... 

No comments:

Post a Comment