Linda knocked the door, she had to sell all the medical equipments, or she could not have enough money to study in the university.
She was from countryside. Both her Dad and Mum were poor people. They had tried to eat less (so they wouldn’t always have to buy food which needed money.), they took a walk to other places instead of taking vehicles. They did everything to help her to study in the university, but still, she couldn’t.
She tidied her wild hair and waited for the response. After a moment, the door was opened, a man stood at the doorway. They gazed into each other eyes. The man was wearing pajamas, seemed that he was about to sleep when she knocked the door.
She didn’t want to ask him to buy her things, as she didn’t want to be refused again, and it was already night, it was queer to ask someone to buy some equipments at night. But she was desirous to study in the university, she would seize every chance.
She asked timidly.” Sir, may I introduce these equipments to you? These are…” The man then interrupted her.” Don’t stay in the cold, come
In, let’s have some hot drinks.”
She carefully dragged the bag with the equipments into the house and sat down. The man went in the kitchen and took a sandwich and a glass of milk out. He placed them in front of her. “Have them please. Oh you look so young. The reason you are selling these equipments is because you can’t afford the fee of studying in the university, aren’t you?” She nodded. The man started his tale.” I was once of the victim just like you. My dream was to study in a university and earn to afford my parent’s and my life. I begged in the streets, every coin was my treasure. I sold things too but not many people found them useful. Every day, I only had one meal, a loaf of bread. I then went in a university. I was the oldest in my class, they are two years smaller than me.”
She chewed her sandwich and drank he milk after the tale had finished.
The man pointed to the bag and said.” I would want one of them.”
She left with warmth and light inside her heart, together with courage to continue with her journey.
* * *
After several years, the man went in hospital because of cancer. He was cured but couldn’t afford such an expense. When he was anxious about it, a nurse came in, she said.” There is a letter for you.” He took it from the hands of the nurse and opened it. It said: To Mr. Johnson, Here is your cost for the curing process. A sandwich and a glass of milk. Yours truly, Linda.
He smiled and tears blurred his eyesight. He kept muttering.” That girl… That girl…how amazing!”
No comments:
Post a Comment